Libby's Patriotic Four Patch Quilt
Quilt size: 40 by 60 inches.
This quilt top is made with 3/4 yard of 4 different fabrics. Use red, white and blue fabrics for a patriotic theme.
40" usable fabric width assumed.
Fabric and Cutting:
|Fabric A||3/4 yd.||Cut 4 strips that are 5½" wide by the width of the fabric.|
|Fabric B||3/4 yd.||Cut 4 strips that are 5½" wide by the width of the fabric.|
|Fabric C||3/4 yd.||Cut 4 strips that are 5½" wide by the width of the fabric.|
|Fabric D||3/4 yd.||Cut 4 strips that are 5½" wide by the width of the fabric.|
(Optional - See
Finishing, Option 2.)
|1/2 yd.||Cut six strips that are 2¼" wide by the width of the fabric.|
Choose either the Individual Squares Method or the Strip Piecing Method to make your blocks
Make Blocks - Individual Squares Method
- From the 5½" wide strips of Fabric A, cut 24 squares that are 5½" by 5½".
Make Blocks - Strip Piecing Method
- Sew a Fabric A strip to a Fabric B strip to make Set 1. Make 4 of Set 1.
Assemble Quilt Top
Arrange the blocks in 6 rows of 4 blocks. Stitch the blocks together.
Prepare Quilt Back
If backing fabric is not wide enough for your quilt top, do the following:
- Cut the quilt back fabric in half on the diagonal to create 2 triangles.
- Shift the triangles so the back is wider than the quilt top.
- Sew the triangles together in the new position.
- Option 1 - Layer the back (wrong side up), batting and top (right side up) and baste. Quilt or tie as desired. Join binding strips into one continuous piece. Bind your quilt and you are done.
- Option 2 - Finish with the pillowcase method and skip the binding. Layer the batting, back (right side up) and top (wrong side up). Sew through all 3 layers around the outside of the quilt top using a ¼" seam. Leave about 8" unsewn along one edge. Trim the back and batting even with the edge of the top. Turn the quilt right side out. Sew the opening shut and top stitch about ¼" from the outer edge all the way around. Quilt or tie as desired.